Friday, February 15, 2013

Hearts & Hooves Day: Special Somepony Necklace

     Happy Hearts & Hooves Day! This is my final Valentine's manicure, and my first My Little Pony themed of a much planned series. I didn't really want to start out my Pony series with this one, but I absolutely could not let the holiday roll by.


     I am subscribed to this very talented lady, and she recently uploaded a lovely tutorial. I instantly fell in love with the necklace idea, and had to recreate it and put my own spin on it.


     I definitely have nowhere near the length of her beautiful nails, but I had to try it. I should have also used the nail art brush to add a little black around the horseshoes for depth, but I was scared that I would ruin it. I ended up doing that anyhow, but probably a lot less than I would have done with the brush.
     I have had my nail art brush set for a while, but have always shied away from using them because I knew if I messed up that I would have to wear it. I never allowed myself enough time to practice, and be able to remove it if I did. I got into the habit of paint-stamp-topcoat-done, but now that I have more time to play around I am trying to branch out from what comes easy.

Items Used

Main Fingers

  • Base Coat - Palladio Moisture Surge
  • 2 Coats - Pure Ice Siren
  • 1 Coat - Hot Topic Red Glitter
  • Stamped With - Konad White
  • Dotted With - China Glaze Dance Baby
  • Plate - Bundle Monster 317

 

Accent Fingers 

  • Base Coat - Palladio - Moisture Surge
  • 2 Coats - China Glaze Dance Baby
  • Stamped With - Konad White
  • Nail Art - Wet n' Wild Black Créme
  • PlateMASH 37
Top Coat on All - Seche Vite (before and after Stamping)



     The only thing that separates this mani from being a Valentine's mani is the Horseshoes. The Special Somepony Necklace is adorable, and I am glad I bucked up and tried out the nail art brushes. As always, now that I am finished I see about 20 things that I wish I would have done a little differently- but those ideas can be saved for another layer of polish.

     In case you were wondering about how I ruined the mani, here is a very detailed account of what caused those smudges and bubbles.

     I have little hearts the same color as the ones on my thumb that are hollow in the middle. I had them sitting on the bottoms of the horseshoes. Immediately after placing them- I hated it and popped them off. The hearts do not sit flush with your nails, and I couldn't stand the way it felt. They are under topcoat on my thumb and unlike the rhinestones, the polish does not help. It puddles up underneath the sides. They are too big for all of the heart to touch the surface of my nail and get a good seal. I got them both in a set quite a few months back and will not be using the shapes on my hands again. If I didn't like this mani so much, I would have done took them off.  They will come in handy for decorating my BirchBox boxes though!


 

 

 

 

Nail Shape Ramblings

I seem to do this in almost every post. Why not give it its' own section?

     Do you see how my nails don't look as straight from a different angle? This is the anguish that I go through constantly. If I file them with them facing away from me, they are crooked when I turn my hand around like in the pictures. If I file them facing towards me, they look horrendous facing outward. I just can't seem to win.

     It could be the deep C-Curve that I have. Not only is it deep, the sides on a few of my fingers turn inward. Mainly the ones that have been broke, or that were the focus of my torture.
     Did I not mention that I am a reformed biter? Over a year and a half clean. Before I filed them down recently, they were the longest they had ever been in my life. I am constantly amazed by how the smallest thing effects their overall shape. I have been working at not picking at my cuticles and sidewalls, and letting them heal over is making the smallest, yet still noticeable, change in my nail.
      I am very excited for the straight edge clippers that I ordered to get here, they really need to be cut to be straightened I think. I would use regular curved clippers, but I don't want to risk the big chip that comes from having to do them in 2 snips. They are very thick, and break easily. If I can't get them evened out with the clipper, then I may have to explore new shape options because the inwards pull on some nails is just too overpowering to have the square shape that I have always wanted.

*The item(s) in this post were purchased by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment