Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Simple Valentine's Day Mani - Take 2!

     Today I have another simple Valentine's mani to share. Out of sheer nostalgia, I chose to stick with the stock red/pink/white palette for the first VDay mani of the year. This one still has a nostalgic feel (at least for me!) but incorporates a different color scheme. Using MASH 15 as an inspiration and a memory of some pottery my grandmother has, I created this simple manicure.

 Special Guest Appearance By: My Elusive Thumb Nail!

    I wanted to have a French included in my Valentine inspired manicures because I have not had one in ages, but didn't want to give up the accent nail that I have been addicted to having. To add a modern twist to a timeless classic, I reversed the colors and worked in a sponge French before stamping.

Items Used

Main Fingers

  • Base Coat - 2 Coats Zoya - Lucy
    Zoya describes Lucy
    as : A soft, milky neutral off-white sheer creme. Ideal for French manicures or to be worn alone for a nail-brightening effect.
  • Accessories - Blue Striping Tape
    After waiting on Lucy to dry, I started placing the striping tape. I unrolled about double of what I needed to cover the width, and placed it on top of my nail in the center. (The free edge becomes much less tacky the more it is touched, so I tried to keep from putting the bits that i had held between cuttings directly on the nail.) Starting from the center where I placed the tape, and working inward toward the roll, I pressed down and rubbed a few times before cutting. Leaving a little length on the side, and wrapping what was left over onto my finger. Then I would do the same to the free edge side that wasn't attached to the roll. After much pressing and smoothing on the tape to make sure it had gotten a good seal, I cut as close as safely possible to the sides of my nail. I used a pair of manicure scissors because the blades let me get really close, taking any unwanted bits that poked my fingers from the sides.
  • Tipped With - Wet n' Wild - French White Créme (& a nail art brush)
    I didn't trust myself to use the handle brush in the bottle, nor a bottle of striping polish because of the excess amount of polish that runs down the bristles. I chose a small nail art brush, and had the easiest French tipping experience to date.

Accent Finger

  • Base CoatSally Hansen - Diamond Strength
  • Sponged With - Wet n' Wild - French White Créme & Alessandro - Blue Lagoon
    I painted strips of both of these, just barely touching, on a cutting of a make-up sponge. Then dabbed the color onto my nail, working slightly up and down for a not-so-prim effect to counter the crisp lines of the other fingers.
  • Stamped With - Konad Blue Pearl & White
  • Plate(s) - MASH 15 (Kissing Swans) & Pueen 18 (Floral Pattern)

Top Coat on All - Seche Vite



     While looking for a picture to describe the pottery I had in mind, I ran across this beauty. It looked exactly like what I had in my head when I found the nail plate that had the image of the kissing swans. It is currently for sale, a bargain at under $10- and absolutely gorgeous. It makes me realize that I missed by a little in the color department, and fell short of the cobalt that I needed. Oh well, I had fun doing it, and enjoyed it while it lasted.


*The item(s) in this post were purchased by me, but features an image that is not mine. I was given permission by the Shop Owner to use the image. It has been watermarked with their Shop Site using my stock font to keep uniformity.

No comments:

Post a Comment